So, what's so good about new? New tries to make us think it is better than Old. We are told on all media that New is superior, cutting-edge, fresh, desirable; we can quickly forget the value of Old. Old is the sweater that wraps me in warmth even with the hole at the bottom where the dog grabbed it thinking we were playing tug-of-war; she is now buried in the backyard under the flowering willow. Old is seeing my face in the photos of my mother, who too has found a place in the next life. Old is a friend who remembers when I weighed what my drivers' licenses says.
As this New approaches, I vow to never forget the value of Old. Old is keeper of the stories of what my life has been and is. Can I ever leave behind my footprints on the sands of the life I have lived? No, when I look back I see the Old Days (they are not necessarily the fodder for romantic reminiscence), days that are the product for which I traded that day lived. I search the Old to find strength for the New. The Old is keeper of my lessons, my dreams when they morphed into a different direction. Old remembers my heart when it was young and innocent and that memory helps me hold innocence with great reverence and joy. Old helps me look for the New in each day, not to trade Old for New, but to add New to the Old.
Old is NOT bad baggage as some would like to think when looking back. Baggage is part of living, the difference is when we let Old be our holder of lessons, the baggage can be laid down. Old keeps an eye on the baggage, just in case we try to pick it up again or worse, trade the old baggage for new baggage just like it!
So here on the eve on the New Year, I choose to celebrate Old. I am looking out the window where the Old dog is buried, smiling back at Old photos, taking stock of the Old stories that will find a metamorphosis as time tools the details. I celebrate the promise of New but I will keep Old close at hand.


No comments:
Post a Comment